07 July 2011

Bersih 3.0

Even if you do not usually read the news, I bet you will know about what's happening on the 9th of July. Because friends on Facebook are blowing their status updates about Bersih.

Some of them are pretty emotional while some of them backed their statements with logics and reasoning. There are however some of them that, well, I think they should think twice about reproducing.

To tell you the truth, I'm all for peace. Heck, I'm even inclined towards the government's side, that sometimes got me into heated debates with my uncles and father and even my Encik that he said my allegiance to the government is sometimes appalling. I'm telling you this, just so you don't write off my sentiment towards the current situation coming purely based fron my political choice.

Some of my friend (not really, just someone-I-kinda-know back in high school; funny how Facebook makes on us calling everyone we used to know at some point our friends) are focusing so much on the rally that she is missing the whole point of Bersih. It's not just about the rally. It's about wanting fair elections, without any ghost voters, without votes being rigged, so that the results are 100% representative of what the people wants.

Not in any way I am condoning the act of the rally itself if it is not backed up with a concrete cause. Nor do I wish that our generation adopt the Indonesian students style of protest, notorious for taking their disapproval towards the government to the streets, which includes burning stuff up and basically just creating havoc.

It might get tiring reading all the statuses (although you do have a choice, jangan bukak Faceboook!), but I think it's kinda healthy that our generation is caring more and more about the current development of our country. It's about time we start caring.

No comments: