13 February 2011

Cash Rules

I don't want to have to work for money.



*OK, that just sounds like I'm such a lazy bum.*

I perfectly understand that in this life, if you don't have a multi-million inheritance handed down to you from your late late grandfather's business empire, and if you don't plan on finding a super rich husband to take care of you, or if winning the top price in the lottery is not how you roll; then you have to work in order to earn money.

Fine, that concept I have accepted for some time.

It's just that, the idea of being an overworked and underpaid employee of a company or organization that hogs all the money to its top-rank important people doesn't seem so appealing. Of course it would be cool to be on top. But climbing the ladder takes time. And by the time you reach the top, you'll be 50. And there goes your youth.

Of course, that's a matter of personal perspective. Mine might be far off different from yours.

The point is, I think that there are so much more to life than money. Having money doesn't necessarily result in happiness.

But having a little more than enough does give you freedom; depending on your interpretation of freedom.

I think besides well-equipping ourself with the necessary professional knowledge to better prepare ourself for the working world, it is also wise to learn about financial management. Nowadays, it's not all about saving your way to rich-dom. It's fine if you are willing to wait and want to enjoy the fruits of your labor when you are 50. But there's a lot of possibility (proceed with extra caution as there are also more smart scams too) out there to make money work for you; the same time you are working hard for money.

I am not saying that I would not work for an earned income; I am excited to start working in my field once I finish my study. But at the same time, I think it is important to slowly build a B-plan so that you are not too dependent on your normal pay-check job. Because a pay-check job means no pay-check if you stop working. What if the Murphy's law work against you, and you found yourself fired? Or unable to work because of an illness or a freak accident (mintak simpang)?

If I sound like an insurance agent, rest assured, I am not one. But please do give more credit to them because the product they are selling is an important safety net; though sometimes the relentlessness of some of them in their pursue to sell you their insurance package borders to being a harassment.

Anyways, what I'm trying to say is, having a financial safety net is very crucial.

If you do not have money to invest, why not invest some of your time to learn about it; nothing to lose in learning.

No comments: