19 December 2010

Update : On 2010, 2011, Food, Dr Rozmey, Melayu, 1984, Crybaby, and Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You..

Been immersed in a lot of distractions lately; hence the lack of updates here. I am attempting to put my thoughts into words here tonight for all the time I've been MIA, so this is going to be a long post. And perhaps a boring one, for all of you. You've been warned.

2010, 2011

With the dawn of the year 2011 approaching, the 2010 year end is slowly inching closer. I'm excited to welcome the new year. This is where I want to be and I am grateful.

Despite some of the bad choices and calculations, I think the small achievements I've gathered over the year are more than enough of a reason to make me look back at year 2010 with a smile. I've learned new strokes of swimming. Had a perfect summer with the people I love. Spent a lot of quality time with my mom and little brother. Met interesting people and made new friends. Had a wonderful, albeit short island vacation. Gone through an amazing experience which opens my eyes to what I would like to do with my career if I were to pursue it. I've seen a shark in the wild. Climbed a 5-wall. I've shot a gun, with real bullets. I mean you've got to admit, that's pretty badass. Ngahehehe.

And I've finally learned how to sew! This girl, who used to be the black sheep in the Home Economics class, who always ended up with bruises on her upper arms and ehem, chest area (thanks to the wicked witch of a teacher), have successfully sewn a 60s mod dress and a cute oversized bag. More projects to come, just waiting for my beautiful fabrics flown across the sea. So excited! Anyways, I wasn't kidding about my evil teacher because really, she did traumatized me into HATING anything remotely domestic, like cooking and sewing. Until recently.

Though, I love housekeeping. A little bit obsessed, you can say. My room gets a makeover almost every month. Whenever I get the housekeeping itch, there's no stopping me, I'll be possessed into organizing every single thing. But that's because I got it from my mom, and the organizing part from my dad (it still feels weird that I remember and talk about him a lot but don't get to talk to him anymore). My teacher can't make me hate something that's imprinted in my genes.

The year is ending on a good note too, with news that makes me breathe a sigh of relief. Silver lining does exists, I guess. Next week, there'll be good companies, particularly this one very happening chick (you know who you are, get your a$$ over here a.s.a.p la macha). I will be spending the christmas eve in Brussels with a long-time close friend, getting high with their heavenly waffles, extra toppings, please. My metabolism will be working on overdrive but that's okay.

Food

Speaking of metabolism. I am eating a lot lately. A lot more than I normally do. I'll be in the middle of eating something, and already I'm thinking of what to eat right next after that. Back to back. Rasa macam berbadan dua la pulak. Kalau macam ni la sepanjang winter, hadoii, kena contact Dr. Rozmey ni. Mungkin inilah pembalasan suka mempermain-mainkan rambut dia. Hmm. This sudden appetite surges scares me, for sure. To the point of considering taking some sort of appetite suppressants. I don't even bother to step onto the scale anymore (I actually do, but I just cursed the penimbang after that.) All I want for christmas is a wicked metabolism.

Dr. Rozmey

Speaking of Dr. Rozmey. I've spent six months this year in Malaysia tanah tumpah airku. My mom's newspaper of choice is Harian Metro (except for Sundays, which are reserved for The Stars). Some people might call it akhbar picisan but hey, the world is in quite a depressing state as it is, so don't look down on other people who appreciate the trivial happenings to lighten things up a bit. So anyways. Back to Dr. Rozmey. I mean, this guy is sure hard to miss. He is the definition of ubiquitous. Tiap-tiap hari disogokkan dengan promosi filem 2 Alam beliau. 40 juta dia target. I've to admit, annoying jugak dia punya promosi. Very in-your-face. Very imposing. And now the movie's out and it's not doing as well as he predicted, a lot of people can't seem to wipe that smirk of their face. Schadenfreude much? Adakah ini salah satu attitude yang exclusively Malay?

Melayu

Ingat tak post pasal Dr. Mahathir's statement tentang Melayu tu? Kalau tak ingat, takpa. Kalau curious, pi cari balik post tu and baca. Malas nak buat ringkasan hehe. I think Tun didn't mean to imply that our race is stupid, but there's something wrong with our ingrained habit. I know I haven't seen or experienced life enough as Tun surely has had to make a substantial statement on this topic, but allow me to share my opinion. Malays are creatures of comfort. Warga yang sangat chillax. Very contrary to the kiasu Singaporeans. Ingat tak dulu zaman sekolah-sekolah, antara perkataan yang femes ialah 'gipang', 'pulun' dan 'skema'. All of which implies negativity. Jadi kita dah diajar sesiapa yang suka berlumba-lumba untuk ke depan tu, dia pulun, gipang, dan itu adalah ciri-ciri yang tidak baik. Aku pon macam tu jugak. Mengata sekaki. Kita tak suka take charge of things. Kita suka orang lain take charge sebab menyenangkan hidup dan kerja kita. Tapi kita nemgutuk orang tu sebab macam bajet bagus. Kita nak, kerja senang goyang kaki, tapi pulangan berbaloi-baloi. Kita pemalas, tapi nak berjaya. Mana nak cari beb? Oh lupa. Kat Malaysia macam-macam ada. Kadang-kadang, bukan pemalas pon, tapi susah nak ambil the road not taken, the extra mile that will get you there. Takut sungguh nak tinggalkan kepompong, tinggalkan comfort zone.

Kalau anda bukan macam tu, tahniah (aku masih lagi mencari-cari kekuatan untuk tak masuk acuan tu). Those few Malays who do not fit these stereotypes, are destined to be the successful ones. That's my opinion la. Feel free to share your opinion on this.

Time praktikal haritu, I've had the chance to visit two fishing villages. Memang senang nak teka mana satu kampung nelayan Melayu, mana satu kampung nelayan Cina. Mana yang ada banyak bot besar (bot laut dalam) dan kilang pemprosesan, haa yang tu la perkampungan nelayan Cina. Kalau perkampungan nelayan Melayu, bot-bot kecik ja. Kalau interview nelayan Melayu, most of them will lament on their fate, thinking that we might bring some help in for them. The surveyor I went with said to me, it's the same story everywhere. It did make me feel grateful for what we as a family have, but then, one has to wonder why accounts for such apparent difference? Pure coincidence? You be the judge.

1984

This is about the novel that has been occupying a lot of my time and my mind lately. Nineteen Eighty-Four. A classic from The Animal Farm guy, George Orwell. If you haven't read it, then find a copy, buy, borrow, steal (and return it quietly back later), whichever way you have to, but you've got to read it. You can't have someone read and then tell you the story because it just won't work. I tried with my boyfriend, but the plot is so intricately woven that you have to tell every page to do the story justice. It's a book that will change the way you look at the world, really (that's a cliche line but the most fitting). It will haunt you, I guarantee.

Crybaby

Speaking of the boyfriend. He told me one thing that he can't promise if we were to grow old together is : to not make me cry. I don't blame him though. Every type of emotion has at some point overwhelmed me to the brink of tears. Watching Spiderman 3 for the umpteenth time. Kena usik dengan adik sendiri. Kena delete dengan adik sendiri dari Facebook. Terharu. Gembira. Sedih apatah lagi. Risau. Geram. You get the point. Remember an episode of How I Met Your Mother in which Ted had a crush on that crybaby Robin worked with? The blonde girl who cried about the dead horse? I mentioned it to the boyfriend, how annoying she was. Sikit-sikit nangis, pastu gedik-gedik manja. Merengek. Menyampah. And he was like, "Errr..." And the realization hit me. Oh God no. I am that annoying girl. With the people that I really trust and can let my guards down la. Contohnya seperti si dia (tiba-tiba teringat cikgu BM pernah ajar dulu perkataan 'seperti' maksudnya bukan yang sebenar, cuma mirip kepada yang sebenar, kiranya penggunaan aku tadi tak tepat la). Dan adik sendiri. Sheesh. Kalau tengok cerita sedih (Toy Story 3 termasuk kategori sedih ok!), itu lain cerita. Depan sapa-sapa pon boleh terjadi.

Anyhoo. I've read about a study that concludes that when you cry, if the first tear comes from your right eye, it's a cry of happiness. If it's from the left eye, it's out of pain. Remember that next time you cry.

Can't Take My Eyes Off Of You

Sejak-sejak ibu pandai guna internet ni, I've been getting sweet e-cards every morning that the first thing I do when I wake up is check my e-mail. Such a great way to jumpstart the day; a mushy card from your mom. Hehehe. Semalam ibu hantaq e-card. Sepatutnya keluaq lagu tapi card tu senyap ja dan kosong, save for a note "Miss you, hope you like this song". Time tengah confuse-confuse cari lagu tak keluaq-keluaq tu dapat sms cari ibu, dia tanya dapat tak lagu dia hantaq? Haha comel tak ibuku tercinta. Setelah disiasat, rupa-rupanya dia nak hantaq lagu ni, yang Heath Ledger nyanyi. Double the comel-ness!



Ok penat membebel. Nak beradu. Have a great Monday y'all!


1 comment:

TunMutaer said...

aku setuju ngn posting malay hg tu.

so wannabe successful? be different.

ps yg laen ak x bace.