11 September 2011

Misundaztood

Are you one of those people who has songs that describe each specific era of your life?

"Erm, not really."

Fine. But if you are, like me, then you'll recognize the feeling when you hear a song which you haven't heard for so long once again and you'll see flashes of memories of that time before your eyes. And you can literally feel the way you felt at that time; the state of your mind, your outlook on relationship and life, your hopes and fears for the future.

Now I'm re-listening to Pink's first album and I remember going through all the adolescent teenage angst phase. It was funny! And very juvenile. Rasa poyo gila weh. Time tu, I remember I had this leopard-printed military-green canvas backpack, and I feel so cool. I hated pink and I used to walk with what I thought was a swagger, which now looking back on it is so embarrassing. I swore to never want to get married, because I wanted to become a zoologist and go live in a forest somewhere like Jane Goodall.

Thank God I outgrew this phase pretty fast.

Apparently I wasn't the only one who outgrew this angry phase. Listening to Pink's first record, I realize how her sound had evolved over the years. Back then, I would describe her music as being a fusion between soul and rock. I stopped listening to her record after her second one. Now she's more pop-pish, and well, more generic. But it's working out pretty good for her, so.

I was wearing my earphone and singing at the top of my lungs in the kitchen when Tash entered some time later saying that she could hear me sing from her room. Oh well.

In her first album Pink mostly sings about being not allowing herself being treated badly and being infected with this 'Girl Power!' virus, her songs became my anthem and I figured if ever it comes a day when a boyfriend would mistreat me in any way, I'll have the perfect song to help me through it.

Listening to the songs now is so funny. The lyrics just don't make sense.

Case of point 1 :

You can push me out the window,
I'll just get back up.

Dude, I'm no vampire. Depending on the level of floors of which you push me from, if I was lucky, I might escape with a few broken bones.

Case of point 2 :

You can run me over with your 18-wheeler truck,
And I won't give a fuck.

Sure right I won't give a fuck because I'd be dead and that's murder yo!

1 comment:

Feezah Hanimoon said...

lirik lagu mmg meng-exaggerate benda2 gitu. lautan api sanggup kurenangi. haha...cinta tahap gaban pon, belum pasti sanggup gadai nyawa lagi.