20 August 2011

Another Saturday

Boyfriend told me he recently read my blog and found one post particularly funny, to the point that he said something like "never thought you were that funny". I should have been slightly offended and I actually did but I was still pretty flattered all the same.

So I asked him which post he was referring to. Later I found out he meant the one I wrote in Bahasa, in which I attempted to berpuitis sedikit. Which was never meant to be funny at all in the first place! Didn't he know I used to represent my school in Pertandingan Sajak back then and win? Darah puitis tu ada la kiranya sikit-sikit walaupun dah tak ditonjolkan sekarang. Heh.

Anyways.

I was sorting through my stuff, like really sorting through the clutters that I'm keeping to figure out which should be chucked out and which I need/want. Being someone who easily sees flashes of memories and emotional attachment in material things, it was pretty hard to let go some of the stuff I have. That reminds me of this TV Show calls 'Hoarders' which features people basically doing what I did today but their situation is 100 times more extreme. These people even got hundred thousands of dollar worth of fine from the state because the cluttering is so critical it might impose danger to the neighbour.

With that TV Show in mind, I shouldered on, tossing one thing after another into the bin bag, to proof that I am not mentally ill like the people on Hoarders. At the end of the day, the result was 3 giant bags of garbage and a huge stack of papers and magazines that stand a little higher than my waist. I didn't cry or slumped into depression afterwards like the people in the show did so I guess I am normal.

While going through some papers I found a poem printed on a yellow piece of paper, already frayed at the edges and torn at some places. I had this since my MRSM years! I used to stick it on the wall beside my bed, along with posters of Lifehouse and The Calling, which were later pulled down because a friend of a roommate told us someone saw a giant hairy thing hanging from the outside of the window of our room. Katanya sebab ada poster orang malaikat tak masuk bilik, so hantu pon suka la jadikan bilik tu tempat penginapan.

I remember thinking that the ghost that someone had described looks a lot like Yeti. I thought Yeti lives in the Himalaya?? Or maybe they are right, that Yeti/Bigfoot is really a makhluk halus after all, that's why despite numerous report of sightings (most of them are probably fake anyway) nobody ever captured that sanovebich? Pardon my French.

Back to the poem, there's a feeling that this thing is something ancient, a piece from the life that seems so distant now. So you can imagine I was feeling quite excited stumbling upon this poem again. A little bit of story behind the poem : I actually stole my mom's diary that she kept when she was 17. Nothing really personal in it, my mom just pasted clippings of poems she cut out from magazines. But I suspect that she chose poem which reflects her own feelings for each day which leads to some speculation on my part..whatever.

So this poem happens to be one of my favourite. Nothing of the deep, poetic kind but I like the message though. I thought I'd share it with you :

SLOW DANCE

Have you ever watched kids on a merry-go-round
Or listened to the rain slapping on the ground?

Ever followed a butterfly's erratic flight
Or gazed at the sun into the fading night?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast
Time is short, the music won't last.

Do you run through each day on the fly
When you ask, "How are you?" do you hear the reply?

When the day is done, do you lie in your bed
With the next hundred chores running through your head?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast
Time is short, the music won't last.

Ever lost touch, let a good friendship die
Cause you ever had the time to call and say "Hi"?

You better slow down, don't dance so fast
Time is short, the music won't last.

When you run so fast to get somewhere
You would miss half the fun of getting there.

When you worry and hurry through your day
It is like an unopened gift..thrown away...

Life is not a race do take it slower
Hear the music before the song is over.

No comments: