19 February 2012

Life and Death

I've accepted some time ago that death is a fact of life. Though, judging from my actions and relation with Him sometimes, this might not seem the case, but time after another, the thought engulfed me, and I am overcame with clarity of where we all stand. Doesn't matter what you do, places you have been, you and I are heading towards the same destination, every day, each second. You and I, we are not much different, you see.

To the point that I sometimes question myself what is the point of all the trivial things we have to go through daily, like picking out the right scarf for the outfit I'm wearing, finding the ever so elusive parking spot especially during weekday, or wondering if I had managed to leave a good impression on the supposedly important people I've met.

But the more I think about it, the more it becomes clear that it's the trivial things in life that really matters. Well, sort of. Most of them at least.

Like spending quality time with your loved ones. Kind words that make an impact to someone who really needs it at the time. You don't have to be saving the whole world to make your life worthwhile.

News of death come and go, it's hard not to feel stoic about most of them. I do feel sympathy towards the parties involved, but experience had taught me that however hard the situation might seem to the person at that time, all the sorrow that he/she is dealing with, the seemingly bleak future that person is imagining awaits ahead of him/her, he/she'll pull him/herself through safely sooner or later. Definitiv. We are all stronger that we allow ourselves to believe.

Another news followed the ringing of the phone today. The story, like every other death, sounds tragic, and it's hard to justify the death of another good and well-loved human being with so much to look forward to.

But that's not our place to decide. This life, the body our soul is encased in that we most of the time over-obsessed about, be it its shape, the clothes we choose to cover it, is borrowed, kind of like a vehicle to get through to our final destination.

Hopefully we'll have the time to re-remind ourselves that, time and time again.

No comments: